- MIGHTY is a pediatric weight management program committed to helping youth achieve their weight management goals. Available only at the Springfield YMCA since 2007, MIGHTY is now offered in Wilbraham, Greenfield, and Westfield.
- The MIGHTY Program works with children ages 6-20. Classes are grouped by age, grade level, and maturity of the participants.
- Classes are scheduled on weekdays in between the hours of 3:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m.
- MIGHTY Wilbraham offers classes for ages 10-13 (or grades 5-8). Classes will be held on Tuesdays from 4:00-6:00 p.m.
- Classes meet regularly for 12 sessions. Each session lasts for 2 hours. Following the initial 12 classes, participants attend 6-8 monthly sessions to maintain the changes they have made and set new goals.
- Participants will start each session with our Fitness Instructor for exercise and a fitness lesson. Adults are expected to use the YMCA facilities at this time also.
- Classes alternate between nutrition lessons and behavior lessons. Once a month you will meet with a nutrition educator. The other week of the month, you will meet with a Behavioral Specialist to learn how to apply your healthy habits at home.
- This is a healthy habits and lifestyle building program. We expect families to set and meet goals based on individual health needs and personal values.
- The program includes a free 6 month family membership to the Scantic Valley YMCA Branch. The membership includes 2 adults and the children of the household. An adult is anyone over 22 years of age.
What We Ask of You and Your Family:
- If your child is under 14 years old, they must come to class with an adult. We believe that weight management needs the support of the whole family so we ask that you and your child come to each class together.
- We ask that you work with us on helping you make and keep healthy lifestyle changes.
- There are 12 classes in the first 6 months. You are required to come to at least 9 classes during the 6 months of this program to keep your YMCA family membership.
- If you do miss more than 3 classes we will cancel you from the program and you will no longer have a membership to the YMCA.
- We expect you to use your free YMCA membership as much as possible when you are not in class.
- We will serve as a support system for you and your family. You will be asked to keep food journals and activity logs so we can accurately assess your progress. We like you to stay in touch with us weekly to discuss your success and any trouble you may encounter throughout the program.
What You Can Expect of Us:
- We will work with you to set specific and realistic healthy goals that apply to your needs and values.
- Program staff are committed to helping you meet your goals. In addition to MIGHTY classes, we offer appointments with our behavioral health team, grocery store tours, small group workouts, one-on-one sessions with our dietitians or nurse practitioner, and family events.
- We will schedule one-on-one meetings with you and your family to help you problem solve and reach your goals.
How to Join the MIGHTY Program:
- Call the Scantic Valley YMCA Branch to sign-up for the program at 413-596-2749 extension 3107.
- You will be given a date to attend a registration and information session at the Scantic Valley YMCA Branch.
- Bring completed medical forms to your registration session.
- At the registration session, or soon after, the MIGHTY Program instructors will inform you of your class start date and time.