- MIGHTY is a pediatric weight management program committed to helping youth achieve their weight management goals. Programs available at both the Downtown Springfield Y and the Scantic Valley Y in Wilbraham.
- The MIGHTY Program works with children ages 6-20. Classes are grouped by age, grade level, and maturity of the participants.
- Classes are scheduled on weekdays between the hours of 3:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. Each class is 90 minutes to 2 hours.
- Groups meet regularly for 12 classes, one class every other week. Following the initial 12 classes, participants attend 6-8 monthly sessions to maintain the changes they have made and set new goals.
- Participants will start each class with our fitness instructor for physical activity. We recommend that guardians use the YMCA facilities during this time.
- Classes alternate between nutrition lessons and behavior lessons. Once a month you will meet with a nutrition educator. The other week of the month, you will meet with a Behavioral Specialist to learn how to apply your healthy habits at home.
- This is a healthy habits and lifestyle building program. We expect families to set and meet goals based on individual health needs and personal values.
- The program includes a 6-month family membership at a significantly reduced rate. The membership may include 2 adults and the children living within the household.
What We Ask of You and Your Family:
- If your child is under 14 years old, they must come to class with an adult. We believe that weight management needs the support of the whole family, therefore, we ask that you and your child come to each class together.
- We ask that you work withus on helping you make and keep healthy lifestyle changes.
- There are 12 classes in the first 6 months. You are required to attend at least 9 classes during this 6-month period.
- We expect you to use your YMCA membership as much as possible when you are not in class.
- We will serve as a support system for you and your family. You will be asked to keep food journals and activity logs so we can accurately assess your progress. We ask you to stay in touch with us weekly to discuss your success and any trouble you may encounter throughout the program.
What You Can Expect of Us:
- We will work withyou to set specific and realistic healthy goals that apply to your needs and values.
- Program staff are committed to helping you meet your goals. In addition to MIGHTY classes, we offer appointments with our behavioral health team, grocery store tours, small group workouts, one-on-one sessions with our dietitians or nurse practitioner, and family events.
- We will schedule one-on-one meetings with you and your family to help problem solve and reach your goals.
How to Join the MIGHTY Program:
- For a program at the Scantic Valley Y, call 413-596-2749 extension 3107.
- For a program at the Downtown Springfield Y, call 413-206-5694 or click on this link to fill out a request form. https://www.baystatehealth.org/services/pediatrics/specialties/weight-management/mighty#get%20started
- You will be given a date to attend a registration and information session.
- Bring completed medical forms to your registration session.
- At the registration session, or soon after, the MIGHTY program instructors will inform you of your class start date and time.